Death positions

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
Kinda a sad question but I'm hoping it will answer another one we had.

Do chicks always flatten out with their legs stretched out when they die? Or does it just indicate certain causes?

We found a chick in with out large turkens cockrels that hadn't made it and it was in that position in a corner by the fencing. We had some staples pop and this was the second time the chicks were in with the large male. The first time all 4 were in with him and everything was good while I got them out. This time there were 2, the one who didn't make it and onw that was hiddled in a corner.

I looked the dead one over and saw nothing wrong besides the fact that he obviously wasn't around anymore. My two theories are that he got too cold (the live one was really chilled too) or that my cockrels stomped on him and killed him. There were no wounds so I'm trying to figure out what may have happened.

Obviously in fixing the fencing tomorrow now so they can't get back in with him.

i have only ever had 2 chicks die...one today. both died on their side with feet clenched and legs stretched out and necks a bit bent. i dont know if that means anything

That's my experience with dead chicks - and dead birds in general. I saw a lot of dead nestlings when I was younger, and they always died on their sides all stretched out.

Kinda a sad question but I'm hoping it will answer another one we had.

Do chicks always flatten out with their legs stretched out when they die? Or does it just indicate certain causes?

We found a chick in with out large turkens cockrels that hadn't made it and it was in that position in a corner by the fencing. We had some staples pop and this was the second time the chicks were in with the large male. The first time all 4 were in with him and everything was good while I got them out. This time there were 2, the one who didn't make it and onw that was hiddled in a corner.

I looked the dead one over and saw nothing wrong besides the fact that he obviously wasn't around anymore. My two theories are that he got too cold (the live one was really chilled too) or that my cockrels stomped on him and killed him. There were no wounds so I'm trying to figure out what may have happened.

Obviously in fixing the fencing tomorrow now so they can't get back in with him.
If the chick has no injuries I'm guessing they were too cold, or died of pure shock or a heart attack or Sudden Chicken Death Syndrome but the cold is a more reasonable answer I think. As for your overall question, I've never really kept track of how many are in that position when they die, but I've seen dead birds and other animals look that way. BTW when introducing new chickens or introducing chickens to a new enviroment leaving the scene and leaving them out there alone isn't wise.

If the chick has no injuries I'm guessing they were too cold, or died of pure shock or a heart attack or Sudden Chicken Death Syndrome but the cold is a more reasonable answer I think. As for your overall question, I've never really kept track of how many are in that position when they die, but I've seen dead birds and other animals look that way. BTW when introducing new chickens or introducing chickens to a new enviroment leaving the scene and leaving them out there alone isn't wise.
They were with their mother, they weren't left on their own. They had gotten through a spot of weak wire and couldn't figure out how to get back with the hen.

Apart from feeding and watering, I let the hens raise them theirselves. I know that makes it possible to lost one occasionally, I just wanted to see if this was a position that had multiple possible causes

They were with their mother, they weren't left on their own. They had gotten through a spot of weak wire and couldn't figure out how to get back with the hen.

Apart from feeding and watering, I let the hens raise them theirselves. I know that makes it possible to lost one occasionally, I just wanted to see if this was a position that had multiple possible causes
OH got it, poor little guys escaped and one of them got themselves killed...my mother's head Sebright roo did that a while ago :( He got out of the coop and fell prey to a some sort of weasel...Anyways, the mother usually keeps them warm so perhaps he died of the cold without his mamma, or maybe the poor guy strangled himself trying to get back...those would be my top two guesses, besides SCD syndrome. I think I would allow broodies to raise chicks naturally too, so I don't fault you there!

Okay, just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't just putting brooder chicks outside alone.

He didn't strangle himself, my fear was that his position meant that my cockrel had stomped on him. He had behaved great with the chicks the first time they got stuck, but he also might have not even put 2 and 2 together that first time. I'm hoping it was the cold, since it was dark and sprinkling when I found them.

The other one is fine this morninf, but I'm glad I checked when I did since he didn't seem very well last night. We stapled it shut so we shouldn't have any other incidents like this for at least a little

Okay, just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't just putting brooder chicks outside alone.

He didn't strangle himself, my fear was that his position meant that my cockrel had stomped on him. He had behaved great with the chicks the first time they got stuck, but he also might have not even put 2 and 2 together that first time. I'm hoping it was the cold, since it was dark and sprinkling when I found them.

The other one is fine this morninf, but I'm glad I checked when I did since he didn't seem very well last night. We stapled it shut so we shouldn't have any other incidents like this for at least a little
The cold is the likely suspect, I'm glad the other little guy is OK!

Back
Top Bottom