Death the chicken lays soft shelled eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chixapocalypse, Feb 25, 2012.

1. chixapocalypse

chixapocalypse New Egg

Feb 25, 2012
    One of our chickens, Death, is laying non-viable eggs with soft shells. She has always been a bit of an outsider in the coop. Keeps to herself. She has a malformed beak where the top is curved similarly to a raptor's beak, so the top and bottom do not meet up correctly. She eats from our hanging food container all the time and she is good sized. How is it, if this is indeed the problem, that she is not getting enough calcium when all the other chickens are laying fine? Any suggestions on what we can do for her? Thanks.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How old is she?

3. chixapocalypse

chixapocalypse New Egg

Feb 25, 2012
    We got her as a non-laying pullet at the end of December. The 5 birds that we have are all similar in age and the other 4 have been consistently laying for a solid month. This bird is hard to tell when she lays because the eggs get destroyed by her buddies. I would guess that she is not laying on a daily/every other day pattern like the others.

4. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I've had this happen to one of my ducks. I think this means that they are not getting enough calcium.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  6. chixapocalypse

chixapocalypse New Egg

Feb 25, 2012
    The issue is that she is not old, she is very young. And the eggs are soft, almost like very thin leather. I don't understand how one bird could not be getting enough calcium when the other 4 are.

7. ccrow

ccrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Southern Maine
    I can't offer any helpful advice, but I feel your pain! I have somebody(or maybe more than one somebody) who is doing this, too. No shell, or just the thinnest layer on the membrane- just enough to give it color and feel rough. I have calcium supplement available, and I get normal eggs too so...[​IMG]

8. chixapocalypse

chixapocalypse New Egg

Feb 25, 2012
    It is just so weird.

9. FeatherPainter

FeatherPainter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northern New York
    I have the same thing going on and am trying to figure out which one it is that lays so many soft shells. I'm getting four to six eggs from six hens every day since December and about every five days I get a soft shelled one. Usually all the other eggs are very hard so I'm not sure what to do, they all get extra calcium from oyster shell and ground eggshells.

10. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by