Death to moles!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Oct 29, 2008.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My yard is being annihilated by moles. I've tried a number of things from ignoring the little buggers to putting in one of those sonic wave doohickies. I'm still covered up and I hate them. They are now tunneling towards and under the chicken coop. Arrggg!!

How do I get rid of the little rodents? Is there something that will disrupt the reproductive cycle? I've thought about poison, but my dogs routinely dig them up and chew on them. I don't want to inadvertantly poison my dogs or the outdoor kitties.

The moles are tearing up my driveway, walkways and flower beds. They must go!!!

HELP!!! [​IMG]

2. winniegirl

winniegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    We have Mole Town in our yard!! The county extension agent told me the only thing that works are traps, So called a service and the guy said he'd lay out 12 traps, return in 1 week to check and remove dead moles, then set them up for another week and return and dispose. These are underground traps, so labor intensive

The cost 12 traps with 2 visits = $400! :eek:

Didn't do it, still have moles:mad:

Tried the sonic sticks, didn't work. Neighbors cat gets 1 every 6 months since he's so lazy

What works??

3. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    we have a TERRIBLE mole problem!!!

here is what we finally did, and it seems to have worrked (we left the car running for about 30 min

[​IMG]

you can see in the picture we even tried one of the sonic yard spikes, that just drew it in closer i think so the exhaust from the car was our final try....and NO MOLE HOLES THIS MORNING!!!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  4. jeepersjeep

jeepersjeep New Egg

Oct 29, 2008
    Norman
    [​IMG]I have used everything you can think of from traps, 3 kinds, to bubble gum to poisons.
    I was talking to a landscaper and he said I need to get rid of the grub worms. So I went to Lowes and bought a bag of grub worm killer and spread it out.
    No moles or gofer for 4 months and its safe for dogs.
    The next best thing is a 12 gauge shotgun.
    Hope this helps:)

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Clearly I need to find a new brand of grub killer. The stuff I used apparently made the grubs even fatter and tastier. :thun

Is the grub killer toxic to chickens? The chickens get to free range. I'd hate to do them in with the grub killer, because don't you know the moles would thrive and I'd just be out chickens. Grrrrrr... moles.

I'm digging the carbon monoxide plan, but leery of it at the same time. The base of operations for the moles is under a giant tree next to the house. It wouldn't blow my house up or anything would it? If the dogs get ahold of a gassed mole is it a problem? Will screaming hoards of moles come rushing up out of the ground when I turn on the gas? Now that mental image will give you the willies! ugg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by