Death to rat snakes!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenteen, Jul 19, 2010.

1. chickenteen

chickenteen Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    richlands N.C.
    I just lost my favorite abolesent turkey to a rat snake that killed her and tired to eat her but could not. Does anyone know how to capture this son on a gun?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    i use my hands

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Yep, pin head down with stick, catch right behind head, put in old pillowcase and tie shut, then haul off to woods. I have done it many a time. The last one I caught was over 5'3" long! Took about a mile away and let him out close to a creek. They eat mice! Mice eat feed! Don't kill it!

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I am trying to get over my phobia of snakes.......I went to a hypnotist once and it worked, but now it's back...the hypnotist gave me a tape to listen to...I just need to listen to it again....I know the feeling your birds are youir babies and you have to defend them at all cost.

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    You can catch them by pinning their heads down but if it really is a true rat snake they are very aggressive and will try their best to get vengence on you. LOL They aren't venomous but still wouldn't like a bit from one. The last one that I caught was over 7' and fought like a trooper. Don't kill him though..they aren't called "rat" snakes for nothing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by