Death today

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jaguar6, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Jaguar6

Jaguar6 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    Hello,

I came home from school today (back to school mom) and found one of the newly introduced chicks dead in the run. I thought that the introduction went well but I guess I was mistaken. My son was very sad because it was his chick. I have been having issues recently with another hen that has been attacked 4 times already and every attempt to reintroducing her fails. I must constantly confine her. But she is a weird one, she always keeps her head down and does not do much. I am at a loss of what to do and do not want to loose anymore hens. I have no clue who is causing the damage. I have 8 hens for sure and 1 that I am usure if it is a hen or a roo. Please help.

Thanks

2. kathleengp

kathleengp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    I'm so sorry. No words of advice but I am especially sorry for your little guy who lost his favorite today :-(

3. missrose

missrose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    I would see if she can be rehomed. It might be a little difficult, but easyier hen than roo. try searching on google "disiplining hens" and that might give you something.
    sorry for your loss [​IMG] and I hope you can resolve this question.

4. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    I understand the problem. I have a hen that has been in administrative segregation for almost a year now. She used to be number two hen, but she got bumblefoot and sank to the bottom of the pecking order.

Every attempt to reintroduce her has been a failure.

Why do chickens have to be such a pain?

Rufus

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I wonder if the 'chicks' are too young to be put into the flock? How old are they?

6. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    I was told to not introduce chickens with older ones until they are sexually mature. I knowthis isn't always practical but I bet this is why.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I also had a hen (Princess) that was separated from the flock because she was wounded. She survived her injury, but the flock would not accept her back. I tried separating out the worst bullies, but as soon as a bully was taken out a new bully stepped in to take her place. It went on until the hens re-injured Princess and I conceded defeat. She was rehomed and has done very well in her new home.

I am sorry for your loss. It's a good idea to integrate new chickens when they are the same size to prevent serious injuries/death to the new little guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by