Deb Lewis Introduction

DebLewis

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for letting me join ...

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We first got chickens about 4 years ago ... I know nothing about chickens except what I've picked up along the way, particularly from good FaceBook groups like Earth Gardeners

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

20 chickens

(3) What breeds do you have?

Variety ... including Brahma, Sussex, some fathered by a bantam

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? ... just popped up in my feed

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I love my garden

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Previously always lived in suburbia, about five years ago we moved to a five acre property, on which we had a dozen chickens free ranging, plus a few ducks and geese, and 8 alpaca, 8 rabbits. We recently moved to the Far South Coast NSW, to a small organic nut farm (not had a crop yet). We acquired their chickens and ducks also We have 25 hectares here, but only about 5 or 10) acres are cleared for free ranging, the rest is logging regrowth which we plan to rehabilitate to better accommodate wildlife (we have many wombat holes, visiting kangaroos ... and hopefully a few platypus in the creek). Our chickens live in a large coop (which I recently insulated with old carpet), which is inside a fully enclosed fruit orchard which has a fence which can be electrified (to keep out wombats) but we have never switched the electric on. The orchard gate is open all day, only closed to keep the foxes out. Fortunately here we have not seen many foxes (maybe they learned the fence was electrified), but we had problems a few times in the past with foxes :-(

We allow our hens to roost when they choose to do so, and unfortunately they produce too many roosters. Right now, those roosters are fighting :-( One facebook group tells me I am being cruel to keep more than one rooster :-(

Welcome Deb, from Georgia USA! We do not have wombat issues here but we have plenty of others! :D You will find tons of information on BYC. I'm a newbie keeper of Guinea Fowl that are almost three weeks old and I'm learning day by day. Glad you could join us. Make yourself at home!
:thumbsup

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Normally, cock birds will settle who is the alpha and then things generally sort themselves out. If they are both young, then it can take some time to sort out who is boss. Since they free range, there is always somewhere for the omega bird to run to if its getting a flogging, so I would not consider it "cruel" and it should sort itself out.

You may wish to join your country thread -
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/598568/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island

Best wishes
CT

Back
Top Bottom