Debating on building or purchasing an incubator.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gg706, Dec 30, 2012.

1. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I saw very good reviews for the Brinsea Mini Advanced Incubator. I only want to hatch out a few eggs here and there so the mini would work for me. I saw the price tag and it is not that bad. around $140.00. I am weighing out building my own incubator or purchasing the mini. I already have a cooler that the handle is broken that we don't use. I have a few more of listed supplies laying around as well. I figure I would spend $30.00 or less aquiring all the supplies I would want. I know I would have to turn the eggs by hand....but I actually would kind of enjoy that part and I am a homemaker so I am home all day. Can I expect the same results from a homemade incubator as store bought? Anyone have experience with both and have some advice?

edited to add: I will be purchasing eggs and having them mailed to me if that make any difference.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. ellandeeranch

ellandeeranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    I'm just two hatches ahead of you on the hatching curve, but if you're like the rest of the poultryheads around here, I'd recommend you buy bigger than you think you want. In six months, you'll be glad you did.

I have a hovabator with the last of six homegrown eggs on lockdown, and 20 Trader Joe's Fertile Eggs right next to them. If I had two incubators....

Get my point? This is addictive. Oversize your purchases.

(Please re-send me this in a couple months when I ask how big to build my next coop!)

Richard in Neenach

3. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    [​IMG] I will try and remind you of your own advice! Yes I could see how it could get addictive! I am afraid unless I am going to sell some chicks....my husband will put a lid on my enthusiasm! He is not a chicken fan like I am. Thank You for the advice! Hopefully my husband finds he likes hatching chicks!....now THAT would be something!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by