Debeaked and beaked hens in same coop ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dsm78, Mar 10, 2014.

1. dsm78

dsm78 New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    Hi everyone, i am new to the site. I just got a 4 new hens araucana,gold laced wyandotte,barred rock,black sexlink. The black sexlink and the gold laced wyandotte are debeak and the barred rock and araucana are not. My question is are they going to be ok together ?

Thanks.

2. forgetful

forgetful Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    It depends on how aggressive they are with each other. Did they come together or from different places? If they came together they should be fine, but if they came from different places, I would put those that are debeaked in a cage or run next to the beaked ones, so that they can see and hear each other for a few days and figure out peaking order through the fence.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They should be fine. The important thing will to be sure everyone has enough space they don't get on each other's nerves, just as with all chickens.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

I've kept a large number of debeaked (rescued battery hens) with a large number of my own chickens in the same coop and they got along fine. The only problem I had with the debeaked ladies was that some of them were so severely debeaked that they had difficulty picking up food, so I had to wet their feed and dish it up in bowls for them. Apart from that they were perfectly fine and we had no problems.

1 person likes this.
  5. dsm78

dsm78 New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    Ok great thank you all for the replies so far so good some are staying inside the coop and the others are outside. Black sexlink was more dominate before them but I don't think anymore seem, also can someone tell me if this is a real arucana or a Easter egger[​IMG]

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    They will be fine, I have both beaked and debeaked birds and I see no friction between them, even when they're a bit crowded over the winter.

Your bird you asked about is an EE. That's the most common EE coloration and is not found in Araucanas (which would not have a tail and would have tufts instead of a beard and muffs) or Ameraucanas.

7. dsm78

dsm78 New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    Thanks ,,how are EE as far as egg layers and any difference in eggs other than color of shell?

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    There's no way to predict. Since EEs are mutts, some lay well and others lay poorly. Some lay large eggs, some lay medium eggs. Some lay green eggs, some lay blue eggs.

As far as what's inside the egg nutritionally, there are no differences between white eggs, brown eggs, and blue eggs as long as the hens are all eating the same diet.

9. dsm78

dsm78 New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    Ok great thansk for that info she isn't laying yet think she is 17 - 18 weeks now , guess will see what happens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by