Debeaked hens? Cute update!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by awheel11, Jun 29, 2010.

1. awheel11

awheel11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I picked up a couple of frizzle cochins at a pet swap that looked like they could use a little love and attention. Unfortunately, they are pretty much full grown and were debeaked. The bottom grew out way past the top so it looked like a little shovel. I trimmed that back, but the top is still much shorter. My chickens free range a lot and that shovel on the end of their beak was making it hard for them to pull at grass. It's better since i've trimmed them, but still a little difficult. Will it grow back? Any tips on how to help them out? Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If they are truly debeaked, no, it will not grow back.

3. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    [​IMG] Poor things. Take good care of them. They deserve for someone to treat them well.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  4. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Poor babies! [​IMG]

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    So cruel... [​IMG]

6. awheel11

Jun 23, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] that's too bad. Well, at least they're in a better place than with their previous owner [​IMG]

7. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You have them quarantined, right? And you are changing your shoes and clothes and washing your hands between handling these disparate flocks. Bio-security is crucial to the health and safety of your birds.

Jenny

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree about quarantine if it hasn't already been in progress. You don't know what these birds could have brought home with them from their former owners. Trimmed beaks might not be the worst they carry.

9. awheel11

Jun 23, 2010
    yup i did! I don't trust people that debeak their birds like that. They seem to be just fine besides the beaks so far though.

10. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Our neighbor keeps coming over and asking why our chickens aren't debeaked. I've explained several times and he just keeps going on about it. Apparently the local feed store had de-beaked chicks in. The owner of the feed store is the same guy who charged us $1200.00 to seed 1/3 acre with grass. Talk about an upstanding guy. And no......we didn't pay it. Sorry about your chicks, I know they will do well under your care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by