Debeaked rescues...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickiecorin, Oct 27, 2014.

1. chickiecorin

chickiecorin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2014
    Alvinston, Ontario
    On Sunday, i rescued 4 red sex links who have been debeaked to varying degrees. 2 of them have a somewhat normal top beak, but short. one has a bit shorter top beak, and it looks almost normal. still short, and from the front has a hole between top and bottom. th last one is the worst, she has about half her beak left. all 4 have very long bottom beaks that have been clipped. should i file back the bottom beaks a bit? I have been feeding them from a salad bowl in my hands and they struggle a bit to pick up food. i feel like maybe if their beaks were a bit more symmetrical, they could eat and peck better. ive never had debeaked birds, so this is a first or me and i want them as happy and normal as possible. I read maybe a pedipaw would work and be quick? Advice? Thanks!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You'll probably have to feed them mash or fermented feed so they can pick up enough.

3. chickiecorin

Jun 18, 2014
    Alvinston, Ontario
    Thanks! I have layer crumble, its just as fine as the chick starter. i brought out some baked soft apple chunks and bananas and they all seemed to gobble it up. im starting to think they were just too scared from the move to eat. i was able to catch the second worst beaked hen, and trimmed her bottom beak overgrowth with baby nail clippers. now it matches up a little better, and she was able to get some seeds off the sand in the run :) after looking at the pictures online, my 2 best beaked hens should be just fine on their own, but if i can catch them ill do a little trim on them too. the worst one is going to need some work... i got a look at her today and it *looks* like her beak has grown since it was cut... its kind of like a fingernail growing over the underlying cut mark. her bottom beak is over a quarter inch past that easily and mostly clear yellow, not vascular looking. And its a u shape from her tongue to the end. im praying she gets even a teensy bit mor growth on top, and that i can shape the bottom better for her. shes a trooper though, came out of the coop for some free range time and got some fresh grass all on her own :)

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's a shame they aren't more careful how they trim them. But when they do 10s of thousands, that's how it goes.

Rather than fully fermenting feed, you can just add water and make a moist feed that will stick together.

I haven't dealt with the debeaked birds myself but as long as the beaks haven't been cauterized, they should continue to grow some.

5. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Are they able to drink enough water? I have 13 hens that we rescued also, and their beaks were cut too. It appears that their beaks have grown some since then, and so far they are able to eat and drink just fine. If yours are having trouble drinking water you could try one of those water nipples. Here is a link where I get mine. They are very cheap and attach to a soda bottle.
    It's called a brooder bottle cap on their website.

http://chickenfountain.com/

6. chickiecorin

Jun 18, 2014
    Alvinston, Ontario
    Those are neat! I might gwt some either way! So far thwy seem to be coping... ive seen them all drink out of the waterer. i think it is bothering me more than them lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by