1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

debeaked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hdowden, Feb 26, 2012.

1. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    ok walked outside to feed the chicks and one of my pullets top beak was gone. i was shocked. anyways she has her whole bottom beak and i was wondering is there anything i can do that would help her to eat and drink better.

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Wow....my guess is that you're going to need to cull her. Sorry...

3. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Can you post a pic?

You may need to just feed her a softer diet for a while, something she can lap up. Beaks can grow back, but I am just not sure how much.

4. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    her top beak is completely gone and she can eat and drink, i just want to make it easier on her to do that. chickens are remakable at adapting, as long as she can get eat and drink i dont see why she would need to be culled. i'm thinking the standered size chicken got her through the fencing beacuse i never see mine fight just pecks on the head for the pecking order but that rooster i think got her is a mean thing.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  5. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    Chickens also use their beaks to preen. They need to be able to get at their gland by their vent to do this. They need to be able to use the sharp tip of their beaks to peck at lice. They need that point to get small bits to eat. This is why the burned-off beaks of hens in commercial flocks is such a cruelty. You'll have to decide, as she heals, whether with a stunted beak that she'll have a good quality of life and be able to stay healthy. Best of luck!

6. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    she's only a few months old so im hoping that it grows at least half way back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by