Debeaking chickens????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchickiefarmer, Aug 5, 2008.

1. newchickiefarmer

newchickiefarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2008
    Montana
    Okay, so I work with a guy who's got a farm. He says that you have to debeak your chickens or else they'll peck at their own (and eachothers) eggs and break em. I haven't heard of this. Is it true? I don't want to debeak them..it doesn't seem right. Any thoughts?

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    It's animal cruelty.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    If your birds have enough space, enough "stuff" to keep them from being bored, enough food & fresh water, they shouldn't be pecking each other or eating their eggs. Debeaking is (in my opinion) a cruel and unnecessary process mostly utilized by the commercial chicken industry and certain individuals who're set in their ways like the person you talked to. I'm not saying you never will have an aggressive bird or one that develops a penchant for eating eggs, but for the most part if they're happy birds you have nothing to worry about.

1 person likes this.
  4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I agree completely with ChicknGurl. If your birds are healthy and happy and have enough space and good food there should not be any problems other than the occasional bully which every chicken owner will eventually have...LOL Debeaking is a very cruel thing and it does not allow the chickens to live a normal life because they have a hard time picking up their food & they can't preen their feathers. Don't listen to whoever told you to do this, it's completely unnecessary if you manage your flock the correct way.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    about a month or so ago I got 4 hens from a man who had like 200, I didn't notice in till I got home that they were de beaked (should of fugured), they eat OK, drink fine, try to feather them self's (little hard) I let them out about 2 X time a week and they try to free range, They do have a harder time eating off of hard places (ground, coop floor) It is VERY VERY sad sometimes to watch them try to pick a piece of food up, after about 10 try's they move on to the "next" piece. I WOULD NEVER EVER get any of my chickens de beaked !!!!! ohhh and then "giving treats" that's a whole other story..... Its truly is horrible !!!!!! None of my others ( beaked hen) have an issue pecking each other or eggs, all the girls get peck once and again thats what chickens do... If you have enough room you wont have a problem, people that have 10000's of birds in a 10 x 10 have to de beak b/c if they didn't there would be major issues. but then again people like that shouldn't own chickens and they should be put in a 10 x 10. Please don't de beak your chickens !!!!!

6. newchickiefarmer

newchickiefarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2008
    Montana
    NO it was never a question about whether I should do it. I would never! They were born with beaks for a reason! I had just never heard of debeaking them for the purpose of them not eating their eggs. I think you all are right, if they're doing it I have to do something to make them happier! Their coop is almost completely built *just need to put a roof on*. I know they'll be so happy in it, I even put up their little sign on the door. "Old Glory"...catchy huh? I like it [​IMG] anywho, thanks everyone..I would never dream of debeaking them...I just needed to know if anyone else had heard of something like that.

7. ChickyBabe

ChickyBabe Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If there beaks get to long and start to curl you should trim it back a little tiny bit but only the top part or it gets hard for them to eat with a curled beak.

[​IMG]
    ♫ChickyBabe♫

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by