Debeaking chicks?

I think it is but a local hatchery does it. I have used clippers to clip the beak of a Bobwhite quail but that was because it was overgrown for some reason. They do it so that in close quarters the chicks/chickens don't pick at each other.

I don't think trimming them is cruel but actually clipping them down is IMO. I have trimmed mine a bit (they grow back) it's like trimming toenails but if you actually debeak them, that's horribly painful for them
sad.png

Coming from someone with no practical experience of it, I have to say it sounds fantastically awful, like something out of a horror movie. The things we do to make bad practices work!

I don't own chickens yet. But when I get them, I don't want to buy from a place that debeaks. I see no problem with trimming beaks, especially when the chicken has a deformity of some kind in the beak. However, debeaking, no, it's cruel and unnecessary. I don't even know of anybody here who actually agrees with it.......

can someone enlighten me as to what the process of debeaking is..? its my first time hearing of such and awful word
sad.png

Why in GODS name would anyone do that!!!
somad.gif
I could understand if there was a physical deformity on a chick and that was the only way to help it, but then you have to consider the quality of life the bird would have. I have to say my mouth dropped open on this topic. I didn't know it was something people actually did to chickens. That's like removing a body part~ here how about a leg or an arm... how would they eat?? Please I hope your not considering this...
rant.gif
I know your just inquiring information at this point, I'm not trying to be mean but please think about how that would feel~ these creatures are designed perfectly, don't try to alter what they are.
hugs.gif

When I got my chicks they had their beaks trimmed - only the extreme end was missing - they never had a problem eating and seemed very happy - now at approximately 8 weeks old I notice the lower beak is slightly longer than the upper peak - it actually seems to help them when they eat and drink because it acts somewhat like a shovel - now as far as the question should it be done - there are two sides to this - it prevents them from harming each other - does it hurt - probably for a short time after it is done - if we were sure that it didn't hurt there wouldn't be any harm in doing it - right? - now let's look at procedures that are done to animals and humans that hurt for a short time but after it is over the benefit in the long run outweights the short time discomfort - a male child is often circumcised - does it hurt - I'm sure it does but in the long run there is some good from it - I guess - getting your tooth pulled because of a abcess - does it hurt - sure but it is worth it - so what I'm saying not all things that are done even if it hurts is necessarily a bad thing - I think it's an issue that should be left up to each individual - like Shakespear said - "to debeak or not to debeak" - that is the question -

Back
Top Bottom