Debeaking Meaties

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by PineBurrowPeeps, May 7, 2009.

1. Anyone routinely have this done?

Now that I am getting into the larger quantities of chicks (100+) I am have some serious picking problems with the older birds. And they have plenty of room. I think they are bord. They picked one to death overnight last week, I felt horrible. I usually remove any with any kind of the slighest injury because I know they will obviously go for blood but this is awful.

So while I don't support debeaking for layers and pets I am starting to lean towards getting it done to my meat chicks since they are around for such a short time.

Anyone else do this?

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Probably in the majority thinking here but if you are getting your next batch from the hatchery debeaked and you are having that big of a picking problem now I don't think it's a bad idea to look into it like you are doing. I hope you get some good responses from people who have some history with debeaked meaties. Have you looked into the anti pick bits and specticals? I don't know if any method is more "humane" than another, but anything beats loosing birds to stress and infection from being picked.
    Good luck [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  3. Swamp

Swamp Time Out

Apr 20, 2009
    Michigan Upper Peninsula

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by