Debeaking???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kat's Silly Chickens, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Kat's Silly Chickens

Kat's Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    When we got our day old chicks we had wanted them debeaked, but I think there was a miscommunication when I called and ordered them. They are 3 wks old tomorrow. Can chicks be debeaked after they get a little older? What would be the oldest they can be for debeaking? And do we have to take them anywhere special to get it done or is there a way to do it ourselves? Could anyone help me with this info...

[​IMG]

2. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    I understand you didn't get what you paid for, but...can i ask...why do you want them debeaked? That's typically for MANY BIRDS in TIGHT QUARTERS. You appear to have a few birds.

3. Kat's Silly Chickens

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    We have a Sultan and are getting 2 Silkie chicks, and 1 more Sultan in 3 wks and don't want the new chicks pecked on when they are old enough to join the ones we have now.

4. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    I understand.

It's not suggested for birds over 10 days old. If you do a search on google you can see the medical reasons why. If they are younger than that, I do believe you can purchase de-beaking "tools" from poultry supply companies. The tools really resemble clippers though...so, I wouldn't trust myself to do it.

Maybe someone that's done it will respond...

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    They don't just peck. They can jump on them and stomp them but you can't cut their feet off! You may have to separate them or partition them off until they get closer in size to protect them. I put a banty in with regular sized chickens and it took a while for them to adjust but they would run her down and stomp on her back. The pecks were not so bad as she could escape them at least.

6. Kat's Silly Chickens

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Thank you for helping, we were just wondering.
    We plan to keep the new ones in a separate area than the older ones, with wire mesh between them so they can get use to them but not hurt them.
    Even tho central Texas is warmer in the winter, most of the time, we are going to keep them inside where they are, we had a colder than normal winter last year and want to make sure they won't have cold winter problems. That will give them a good opportunity to learn to like each other. There will only be 6 week difference between their ages, I know in most animals that is a large difference, but we're hoping it won't be in this case...

7. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    6 weeks is a large age difference. You will eventually be able to keep them together, but not at first. For at least a few weeks you will need to separate them or the smaller ones will almost certainly be picked on and injured -- or killed.

In nature, this would be lessened because the mama bird would keep the others away from her new chicks. When they don't have a mama, though, you'll have to take steps to prevent injury.

You are going to need to keep both batches separate until the smaller birds are mostly caught up in size and development with the older birds. Remember, when the younger ones are just six weeks old the older birds will be grown ups. The little ones will still need protection.

8. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I bought ready to lay pullets a few years ago that were debeaked. It didn't stop them from pecking each other bloody if the wanted too.
    Just a thought.

9. Kat's Silly Chickens

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Thank you for the added info Rozzie and Cindy in PA, I figured with the 3 new ones (1 blue Silkie, 1 Buff Silkie and 1 Sultan) that are all bantams they would need extra attention. We lost the 1st Sultan Bantam (on the 3rd day) we got with the 5 we have now, she wasn't a strong bird from the start.
    And if I remember, some of the ones I had in 2008 that were debeaked still pecked on my younger ones. I wish I still had the Silver Laced Wyandotte, she was a beautiful duck raised chicken, but I had to give them away when I moved away from that area. My dad is already prepping the smaller cage for the new ones, and we don't go to pick them up til Oct. 13. He is so silly about them, he has his named Bar-b, Que and Lunch, but his humor [​IMG] got in the way of their names.
    Well I'll keep posting questions as the days go by...
    Nice to meet people who like to help us out,
    Kat M. Wilt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by