debiraymond AKA The Enabler!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by wolftracks, Dec 13, 2010.

1. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    OK Debi this is all your fault,

Went to the auction and bought 10 quail today!!!!!!

Only made it home with 9. We had to chase them all over the barn when 5 got out. I had great big men chasing little bitty quail around with nets. LOL

I've wanted them so long now. Now I have to figure out what I have.

I hadn't walked 20 feet away after buying them and someone walked up and asked what I had, what I raise and what I'm selling.

Maybe quail are gonna help after all.

Besides, they're so cute.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

And how is that MY fault!? Because I came home with 6 birds myself from our show? [​IMG]

3. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    What kind of quail? Pop on over to the quail forum, if you haven't yet, and post some pictures. We'll help you figure out what you have.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  4. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    What good are quail? Just asking..... (and I'm serious, I really don't understand)

5. Rozzie

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:Depends on the kind of quail.

Coturnix quail -- eggs, meat. Coturnix females will lay 300+ eggs a year each. They begin laying eggs at six weeks old. That's not a typo. Six weeks old. Fully mature at that time. (Some birds take a week or two more.)
    Bobwhite quail -- meat, mostly, but also in some places, training hunting dogs (laws vary on this from state to state). Eggs are edible, but they don't lay like coturnix.
    Other types: Mostly exotics. Some hunting training, some hobby use, some for meat.

Button quail - pets. Period. The eggs are edible, but they are kept for pets. The eggs are secondary and lots of folks don't bother to use them. (They are tiny.) I use mine. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  6. debilorrah

Uh oh. Now I need quail. Can I keep them with the mini chickens?

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:SEE HOW IT STARTS!!!!!

I just argued with myself on another thread and you said I knew I was going to get them. I figured if you had figured that out I was a little slow, so I bought some [​IMG]

I have a cage that I think must have been for quail or canarys or something similar. It has 2 levels. I don't think I like it though, so working on something else.

I went there just looking for quail and didn't see any. I did find a Game roo I wanted. Their computer broke down before they started so it was getting late and didn't go for the roo, but up pops 2 pens of quail. I stopped bidding at $1.50, but the guy who won only wanted one pen so I got the second one. That rarely happens. Most people would have taken both.

Mad that the one got loose though. It was my fault too. They're quick little buggers.

I just have a feeling I have 9 roos. It would be my luck.

I'll get some picks tomorrow.

8. Rozzie

Jul 14, 2010
    No. You should not house quail and chickens together. Chickens can carry some diseases that they don't get sick from, that quail will die from. Somewhere over on the quail boards there is a long thread about this peril.

Generally, you should house them separately and care for your quail BEFORE taking care of the chickens. This is the suggested biosecurity.

You'll find plenty of folks that break these rules successfully BUT it is a risk.

Quail also need gamebird food (nonmedicated). It is a much higher protein than your typical chicken-feed, too. You'll want a 24-30% feed -- the higher the better.

9. debilorrah

Quote:My mini chickens are Wheaten OEG's. My roo is 6 inches tall. He says E EE EEEE EE. [​IMG]

10. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Yeah I at least know going into this that I needed to separate chickens from quail.

Bill was supposed to finish the coops, build 3 more and get my quail pens done. He was so good to me. I'm not doing 1/100th of what he did and he was in a lot of pain.

I did see some nice wire quail pens for sale today, but I was too cheap to pay more than 6 bucks when I had the wire to build them myself. I hate that I'm so cheap!

oh wait. I hate that I'm so broke!

Need to clearify that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by