DEC providing Ringnecks for release-housing, care, etc?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by happyhensny, Feb 13, 2012.

1. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I have a 4-H group and found out that DEC has something to do with providing Ringneck chicks/eggs to be grown and released.

1. I suppose they are for hunting, would be nice to see them around though.

2. housing requirements? I have a pair of Goldens and a Temmincks now (and bunch of chickens) -not together with them correct?

3. Release at 6-8 weeks?

Anything else? Thank you.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Not sure it's legal to release any non currently indigenous species into an area- it might harm what's there now even if they -were- there before.

I house my doves and chickens together, just be sure to have somewhere the chickens cant get.

I would not release human raised birds into the wild, they will not be prepared to live on their own, they also may not be able to establish a healthy territory against the other birds in the area (or too good at it out competing other birds) and besides having human tolerance or trust they may have no predator flight/hide responses due to the safe nature of the original housing.

Just because one branch of the govnt is doing something or allowing something doesn't mean it's legal or moral- check your laws first- I've had issues with this before (I needed a permit that everyone swore I didn't need... so I did a three way call (DFW, myself and ACAC) and called the people back to prove the official answer from DFW was 'no permit' and got off w/o charges)

3. happyhensny

Oh boy. Maybe this isn't such a great idea. I don't understand how DEC can publicize this and then have it be illegal. UGH. Bureaucrats. [​IMG]

4. golden reeves

golden reeves Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    SW Minnesota
    It depends on the state. In MN it's legal to buy, raise, and release ringnecks if you don't have them for more than a year. Once you have them on your property for more than that, try to raise your own, or try to sell you need a permit. It seems like a lot of work just to release birds that that only have a ten percent survival rate but I buy my permit every year to avoid controversy and release every year anyway. To me it's worth it especially with our record low pheasant numbers this year. Personally I think the kids will get a lot out of it and it will be a rewarding experience for all involved.

5. happyhensny

Here is the info that I saw:

The application period for DEC's Day-old Pheasant Chick Program is open from now until March 15th. The program provides pheasant hunting opportunities through a partnership between DEC, hunters, 4-H youth, and landowners. Chicks are available at no cost to participants who are able to monitor the birds' health, provide daily care, a brooding facility, a covered outdoor rearing pen, and an adequate release site. Approved applicants receive chicks in April, May or June. Cooperators bear the cost of raising the chicks to adulthood, and release them before December 1st on DEC-approved sites on lands open to public hunting, before the season opens. In 2011, DEC distributed more than 46,000 day-old pheasant chicks to qualified 4-H and sportsmen applicants. Anyone interested in raising and releasing pheasants to expand next year's hunting opportunities should contact DEC's Reynolds Game Farm at 607-273-2768.

Guess I will have to think about it. Sad that only 10% will survive.

6. golden reeves

golden reeves Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    SW Minnesota
    The educational experience alone will be worth it. How many kids get to see a live pheasant up close let alone raise one?

7. FireTigeris

Well that there says they need to be released on approved areas so not your homestead- your call.

8. happyhensny

I actually have many places near me to release, public land approved for hunting is less than a mile away. I think the kids would enjoy it also.

9. FireTigeris

Ok, then you have your answer- post lots of picts.

10. happyhensny

[​IMG] I suppose I could call tomorrow. I need to figure out housing size and requirements for them for 6 - 8 weeks first though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by