Deceased Chicken : What caused it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hawkeyext, Oct 11, 2016.

1. hawkeyext

hawkeyext Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    New York
    Hello, I have 34 golden comets and yesterday we found one dead. She was just sitting there in the grass, as if nesting or sleeping, her head down and eyes closed.

Any idea what could have caused it and is there anything I can check myself? (We don't have money for a vet.) She was 10 months old.

Thanks for any advice.

[​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

She appears thin in the photo...What are you feeding the birds? Nutrition is key in raising birds...Disease could be spreading?

Give more info about the flock as far as feed, housing, bedding you use. Weather you free range or not.?

Cheers!

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC, and sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

You could try doing a necropsy:

or you could send her off to a lab for one. Many states offer free or lost cost necropsies, so do look into that. Even those that don't offer free necropsies will sometimes waive the fee if you explain your situation.

Labs:
    https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

State vets:
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

-Kathy

4. hawkeyext

Apr 5, 2016
    New York
    Hi, we have 34 chickens that are Golden Comets and about 10 months old. We feed them 51 lbs of food each week. We use Blue Seal Organic Life Layer pellets. We also feed them some oyster shells as grit, but not much. They are free ranging in an area that is about 2,000SF. We have a coop in which they are roosting in, and the boxes have pine shavings. We find that there are open bars for them, but 3-4 tend to sleep in the boxes.

5. hawkeyext

Apr 5, 2016
    New York
    Thanks. I've left an e-mail with one place, and a voicemail with the other inquiring about a necropsy. Fingers crossed they are free or cheap!

6. hawkeyext

Apr 5, 2016
    New York
    Hi Casportpony,

It turns out one of the labs on your link is offering a free necropsy. We sent her in yesterday. Thanks so much for the advice!

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That's great news! Hope it's nothing serious.

-Kathy

8. hawkeyext

Apr 5, 2016
    New York
    Turns out it was yolk peritonitis. :( Also found out she had lice so we treated the whole flock.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You're welcome, and thanks for the update.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by