1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

December and chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by comitdust, Dec 4, 2015.

1. comitdust

comitdust Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2015
    Georgia
    Not exactly sure how old these are maybe 5-6 weeks? I took their heat lamp away. But when can I take them outside for good. Here in georgia the weather is unpredictable some days it's 70 lows 40's then others it's high 40s lows 30's[​IMG]

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I think about 8 weeks is when chicks should be fully feathered and thus able to regulate their body temperature effectively. I'm not sure where you are keeping them at the moment, so answering the second part of your question is a little difficult. Either way, the chicks will need a period of acclimatisation to the cooler temperatures, e.g. expose them to the outdoors for short periods of time or ensure that they have access to a heat source. If you keep an eye on them, and see them doing normal chicken things (as opposed to pudding around the heat source) then you can be fairly confident they will be ok - just slowly increase the duration of being outdoors. .

Since you are unsure as to their age, for safety i would put them at 4 weeks old, and hence start the acclimatisation in 3-4 weeks.

Good luck

CT

3. comitdust

comitdust Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2015
    Georgia
    They are inside right now

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd start hardening them off by leaving them outside during the day and bringing them in or giving them heat at night for a week or so. Then they should be good to be off the heat completely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by