December Broody

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ozark_chickies, Dec 16, 2011.

1. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Just wanted to share some cuteness with you. My hen started hatching Wednesday, but I didn't get to see all of the chickies until I moved them out of the nest this morning. She hatched 5 chicks even though it got below freezing while she was setting. I've had fun today watching them come out to eat, and then dive back under mom to get warm.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The time/date on pictures doesn't match because I didn't know it was set wrong, until I took a bunch of shots. Then I had to figure out how to set it.

2. tinychickies

tinychickies Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2011
    Very cute chicks. I like the momma, what breed is she?

3. ozark_chickies

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Quote:I don't really know, she was a rescue. I think she is a old english game bantam, or just a mutt bantam.

4. tinychickies

tinychickies Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2011
    You said she hatched 5 chicks, how many eggs did you gave her? I also have a bantam serama that decided to go broody 2 days ago. I gave her 11 of her own eggs and I'm hoping to get a good hatch rate.

5. ozark_chickies

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Quote:I let her set on 9 eggs. 4 didn't make it, I think they shifted out from under her when the babies started hatching. They had fully developed chicks in them, one was even zipped [​IMG] . I hope you get a good hatch.

6. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    The second photo is precious [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by