December Molt

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kkowa, Dec 23, 2013.

1. kkowa

kkowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    I have a amber sex link hen that will be 2 April 17th and she has started to hard molt it is horrible I live in WI and lately its been in the single and negative numbers should I be worried about her? there is no additional heat or light supplied in the coop. and they are all feed free choice of grit oyster shell and scratch along with feather fixer, and any table scraps. she is the last to molt should I be worried about her getting cold or anything?

2. susan0853

susan0853 New Egg

Nov 2, 2013
    Dawson Creek Bc
    I live in Northern Bc and shortly after my two year old hen molted we had a severe cold snap in the -30 C . I was very worried also as she had very large patches with no feathers at all. She didn't seem to have any problems at all. I have some this springs pullets and I put two bales of straw in the coop and most of them crowd onto the bales. One night two of them were all cuddled under the rooster. They will keep warm with each others body heat. Two nights ago -36 and today 2 above and they are ha

3. susan0853

susan0853 New Egg

Nov 2, 2013
    Dawson Creek Bc
    !
    I have a amber sex link hen that will be 2 April 17th and she has started to hard molt it is horrible I live in WI and lately its been in the single and negative numbers should I be worried about her? there is no additional heat or light supplied in the coop. and they are all feed free choice of grit oyster shell and scratch along with feather fixer, and any table scraps. she is the last to molt should I be worried about her getting cold or anything?
    [/quote

4. JonB

JonB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Michigan
    I have a SLW who's been molting for a few weeks, and she seems to be doing alright. It's -19 this morning, and they're all still alive...lol. Lots of snow and cold so far this year, but they've done well with it. My bird seems like she's only doing a partial molt, as she hasn't been losing any feathers the last few days. She even laid a nice egg last week.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She'll be fine. They snuggle up with each other to keep warm.

6. kkowa

kkowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    ok thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by