Decent price for 12 Silver Laced Wyandotte Eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by katiek, Jan 27, 2009.

1. katiek

katiek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    Wildwood, GA
    I ran across a local guys website who is selling silver laced wyandotte hatching eggs. He is asking $60 per doz. That seems a bit high doesn't it? He says they are from an award winning stock and have been bred to re-establish the standard for the breed. Which I appreciate, but $5 an egg seems steep. He is local so I like that as well, no shipping of the eggs. And buying anything local gives you extra cool points as well. Am I out of line to think this is a bit expensive? New to the game, so I thought I would ask the experts. Oh yeah, this $60 doesn't include shipping.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Not out of line in some instances...in others...that's a decent price for show birds.

3. katiek

katiek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    Wildwood, GA
    Can you elaborate a bit on your answer Rod? Thanks in advance

4. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Holy moley quacamole! [​IMG] I'd expect a golden egg in the batch for that price! [​IMG]

5. youdontknow32

youdontknow32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    South Western PA
    Ha, I WILL NEVER PAY THAT OR CHARGE THAT.......[​IMG]

6. OcoeeG

OcoeeG Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2008
    Chattanooga
    The problem with that is there is no guarantee that you are going to get 12 chicks from that. If you only get a 70% hatch rate you are looking at like $8 an egg. That is spensive!!!!!!!!

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Generally speaking, a decent breeder WILL replace eggs that do not hatch and that are proven not to hatch. I know I have from people that I drove to drop off eggs with.

As to my answer. Good birds cost alot of time and effort and in the run...money. In order to breed good quality stock, a breeder has to be able to forfeit these things. Being that he cannot replace the time or the effort...the least he can get back is the enjoyment from his birds and a little money to help keep up the breeding program.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That's actually a pretty common price for eggs from good quality birds. I wouldn't pay it to just anyone, but I have paid that much for some eggs in the past and probably will in the future. A good breeder has lots of time and money tied up in their birds. I have found you most times get what you pay for as long as you do your homework and know who you're dealing with.

9. leghorn dude

leghorn dude Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2008
    Conroe tx
  10. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Why thank you Leghorn Dude!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by