decided to get rid of my packing peanuts and1 mean roo

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chixie, Oct 12, 2009.

1. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I decided to get rid of my packing peanuts... I know I can't keep them all and I want to order somemore chicks so they need to go... i will be keeping 2 and decide which one I will keep when they are grown to replace the mean roo that must go... I am sad because i know they will be in the pot.... but i can't keep everyone... I am letting them go now because I am getting attached to them...

2. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    I have 5 packing peanuts also that are looking like 5 roo's and are starting to be bullies when I give the flock treats, etc.

As soon as they get to about 16 weeks or so they are going to be chicken bbq. Not being mean, just the reality of culling the flock and needing more room for egg producers.

3. chixie

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I may have 2 given away.... it is making me sad..They are friendlier than my silkies at the moment... they will jump on my hand so I will take them out of the brooder... they are also getting to bug to be with my silkies... they are almost twice the size of my silkies... I won't sell them because in my mind it feels like blood money,,, my DH laughed at that

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Just advertise free, young roosters. That's what I did when I ended up with three accidental ones. I put a sign up at our post office and the library branch. They all three went to a home where they became the only roosters to 80 hens. Happy boys they are now. [​IMG]

5. chixie

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I have posted on the internet... and I will post at the 3 feed stores that are close by...

6. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    craigslist

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    When you consider that the ideal ratio in a mixed flock is 1:10, and the fact that many flocks have NO roosters at all, you realize that there really are job positions as flock husbands, breeders & pets for a mere 10% of all roosters hatched. The grim (but delicious) reality is that about 90% of all roosters have their purpose on a plate. There really are worse things that can happen to a rooster than to provide nourishment to a grateful family.

I have been the appreciative recipient of other folks' packing peanuts and unwanted roos. These birds are well cared for, kept safe & well fed, lead lives far better than most commercial meat birds, enjoy their days out in the fresh air & sunshine, roaming a yard full of plants & insects, and are handled gently & hear soothing voices right up to their quick & humane end. I use their meat in soups, stews & chilis, dishes that make the meat go farther, and we don't waste a single morsel. After all the work needed to bring them to the table, I am grateful for every bit.

Don't get any more attatched to them than you would to produce grown in your garden. You can admire & enjoy them, tend to their needs, but know their destiny is to be someone's dinner, and that's really not a bad thing.

8. comp6512

comp6512 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Quote:Are they good for bbq at 16 weeks? I mean enough meat on them and not too tough?

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I don't BBQ my chickens so I couldn't tell you how tasty/tender the result would be. I *think* that cooking method would work better with younger birds, and only the meat hybrids like the Cornish Xs are big enough to eat at a young age. That's why I let my standard & mixed-breed roos grow to 18-22 weeks before butchering. They average 3-4 pounds dressed, are very tasty, and very tender because of the way I cook them. I let them rest for 2-3 days in the refrigerator then cook them slowly with lots of moisture, either simmering them in herbed water or roasting them with vegetables in a covered pot.

10. chixie

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    all my roos... even the mean one are all given away... hubby and nephew will take them because I will change my ming...I am a big softy...
    UPDATE:
    I feel better... they went to a house with acouple of little girls... they had a pet chicken that a snake killed a few months back.. they were so excited .... so I am happy now...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by