decided to start a project...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by v.cyr, Jun 27, 2011.

1. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    I was messing around on the chicken calculator today, to try and see what I can expect in my mutt birds that I am hatching this year and decided to toy around with possible crossings for next year... and apparently if I cross any solid fawn/dun birds from this batch(different parents, of course), I should end up with some solid khaki(which I think is an attractive color in a subtle kind of way) birds that should (according to the calculator) , if breed to another khaki, breed true for that color... and (again, according to the calculator... I understand it could be wrong... GIGO, sort of thing) any of the other breeds I want to add to the gene pool would result in all fawn/dun color ofspring, which could either be breed to another fawn bird, or to a khaki colored bird to give some khaki offspring... seems simple and straight forward enough for an newbie like me to keep track of... so I am gonna go ahead and give it a whirl, and try to learn as much as I can along the way...the worst case senario is I end up with just some run of the mill barnyard mutts(which was my original goal anyhow... yay for low expectations)... so what do you all think... does it sound feasable, or am I in way over my head...

2. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    Oh and by the way, my crossings up to now are as follows...

last year
    Barred Rock x Buff Orpington

this year
    BRxBO(hens) x Black Australorp (waiting on these ones to hatch)
    &
    BRxBO(roo) x Black Jersey Giant (these too)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by