Decided to take the plunge - incubator advice please!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jacyjones, Apr 14, 2009.

1. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    After visiting a friend with chicks I have decided I would like to have a go at hatching. I will do this on a small scale so any advice on choice of incubator would be very welcome. Also anything to avoid and any starter tips would be really good. [​IMG]

2. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    I hear wonderful things about Brinsea's line of 'bators. Thats what I'm getting. Plus they're based in the UK. You can get the octagon eco 20 for around $130.

3. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Thanks for that - my only reply! I will look on Ebay and see if there are any Brinsea on there!

4. michiganlarry

michiganlarry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    I am new also. Borrowed a Hobabator 1602n with turner from my brother. I am only on day 5 but it has been very easy to setup and maintain so far. They are on ebay for around $120.

5. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I love my GQF Hovabator 1588 with autoturner. The autoturner is worth it's weight in gold.

6. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

This may be a silly question - but how does one time getting the exact eggs at the same time that one wants to hatch?

Say you want two or three different breed eggs that you have to get from two or three sources - is it even possible to do this?

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:getting the eggs at the same time is the trickiest part..

if you are setting chicken eggs they take 21 days.. If you set all the eggs at the same time they should hatch at the same time..

turkey eggs take 28 days.. so you set them 7 days before you add the chicken eggs and they all hatch at the same time..

8. AnconaDuck

AnconaDuck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    MI
    We have a Brinsea Octagon 20 eco. The temp stays rock solid, easy to set up, and there is a big viewing window. We have not had any problems with it. We purchased the automatic turner with it, and it cost the same (excluding shipping) as a Little GianT or Hovabater. It is sturdy and quiet. The only downside that I have found is that water has to be added from inside the 'bator. There is not a tray to pull out or an easy way to add water withougt disturbing the whole tray of eggs. Other than that, it holds a large number of duck eggs for its small size!! [​IMG]

9. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yes, good idea to coordinate your eggs arriving close to each other.
    You have to let them 'rest' at room temp before you put them into the incubator so letting one batch wait a day while the other arrives and warms to room temp (12 hours?) you can time them to go 'under the hen', meaning in the incubator, at the same time.
    From what I've read the broody hen will collect eggs for a week or so before she 'starts' them by sitting on them and bringing them up to temp.

Your shipped eggs can wait about 7 days from being laid to going into the incubator so you have a little time to play with.
    Don't put them in the fridge.

Others will have more experience with this, but basically starting all at the same time is the best method so they get the raised humidity at the same time in their development.
    Good luck

10. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    i got all mine within 3 days and just turned them until they all came and let them rest 4 24hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by