Deciding where to house goats..

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Shorty1071, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Shorty1071

Shorty1071 Just Hatched

Jan 1, 2017
    Hello, just looking for some input from experienced goat (or sheep, llama, etc) people. We have five acres with several old buildings, and we are trying to decide where we should put the goats. We have an old building probably 30 or 40 feet behind the house that I would really like to turn into a goat barn, at least for the does-so close to the house for kidding, milking, etc. Very convenient. But, for their pasture.. I could turn the backyard (currently our dog yard) into a goat pasture, but is that going to smell terrible? I have a few other places that I could put a good sized goat pasture, but obviously it would be convenient to have the pasture attached to their barn.
    We are starting with two does this spring, I doubt I will ever have a large herd, but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with 6-8 does, if that changes anything.
    Thanks!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Goats aren't too picky so pick the building that works best for you and is easy to clean and maintain.

Goats don't definitely need access to a large pasture if you are willing to bring feed to them. They prefer to be waited on anyways. I have kept goats on a small dry lot where I raked berries out every so often. It can help to keep worm populations down as most larve need grass in order to get eaten.

You can also take goats to a pasture daily, than back to their shed at night. So lots of ways of keeping goats. It's best to figure out what works best for you and your lifestyle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by