1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deciding which Rooster must go.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rcoletti116, Feb 6, 2012.

1. rcoletti116

rcoletti116 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2011
    Athens, GA
    I'm sure there are hundreds of similar questions posted on this site, but finding an identical situation may be tough...

anyway,

I have two roosters who we raised. They are now nearly 10 months old. One was a particularly late bloomer. Never had I ever seen them fight as they always seemed to be pals. Yesterday something changed. They got into their first real fight and it was a blood brawl. By the time I got outside to stop them there was already a lot of damage done to each. I separated them and treated their wounds. They will both be fine.

However, I cannot keep both of them and risk this happening again. Now we just need to decide which one to get rid of. They are both Buff Orpingtons and both very gentle to my wife and I.
    #1 (Sunshine) is more aggressive (not violent, maybe assertive is a better word) with the ladies, while #2 (Pip) gets scared off by them.
    #1 is bigger, #2 is a runt (he always has been).
    #1 Let's us pick him up and carry him around, #2 runs away but settles down when he is caught.
    #1 is Alpha and the girls follow his leadership very well. He has saved them from many a danger. #2 is a follower like the girls.

But now these two roosters, formerly childhood playmates are deadly enemies. We love them both. Which do we choose?

Your advice is appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    # 1 is a known quantity. As Alpha he is expressing his true disposition which sounds to be verey acceptable. # 2 has always been subordinated by # 1. Without # 1 around, # 2 MIGHT express a different personality. I would keep # 1.

1 person likes this.
  3. lolita117

lolita117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Hestand, KY
    That is a tough decision. Personally, if I had to choose I would pick the one that is already a leader to his flock (especially since he isn't aggressive to you). That way you won't be removing the leader. I would say that would be the least stressful on the flock.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. rcoletti116

rcoletti116 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2011
    Athens, GA
    I had thought about that too. Removing the leader would call for a reestablishment of the pecking order. Good thought.

5. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    #1 is covering the hens.
    #1 is bigger.
    #1 is gentle and allows you to pick him up.
    #1 is the leader.
    #1 has protected the hens a number of times.

Is this a serious question?

I think you answered your own question. :)

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I keep back up roosters so I am not without in case of accident, illness, etc. I keep 2 BO roosters. Originally I kept them with 4 older Ameraucanas until they picked on the older one and he hid for a whole day. I pulled him out and placed him with a young EE and younger hens. THis week fighting errupted and ended with BO trying to hide.

I keep both, in whatever set up keeps the peace. BO are noted for being easily dominated by other breeds IMO and experience. Even the hens. It is spring and my boys are all fighting, all 12. THey fight, mostly stare downs and quick squirmishes and then done for a while. My birds free range and IMO that reduces the interaction of the roosters.

What ever you decide, GL. BO are really pretty birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by