1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deciding which roosters to re-home ??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hebandgene, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Hebandgene

Hebandgene Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2015
    I have a group of 12 silkie/frizzle mix about 8 wks old. They are an interesting little mix of feather types, skin color, number of toes, and comb types. But I have at least 5 roos so unfortunately some have to go. (I had to separate them into 4 groups weeks ago because they were hurting each other, but I don't have the space to keep them separate as they get bigger.) Deciding which ones to re-home has been a chore because they are all so varied in their physical characteristics. I think in the spring I might like to breed some and each has interesting traits. For example, I have roos with frizzled, silkie, and smooth feathers. I also have to think about what girls I have since I have to be careful with the frizzles. So how do I decide which ones to re-home? I assume the most aggressive has to go even though he is the friendliest to humans (for now). What else should be my deciding factors? I'm new at chickens so I appreciate any and all input. Thanks!!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    What are your goals? It sounds like you might have gotten birds out of someone's Sizzle project?

Anyway, I've been breeding Sizzles for a few years, if that your goal as well, you need to consider a couple of things. Which color(s) do you plan to keep? Do you want to keep frizzled hens or a rooster (I keep frizzled hens, so I have more frizzles to look at). If you keep frizzled hens, you need a smooth rooster, either normal or Silkie feathered. If you're going to keep the Sizzle line going, keep back a boy that has the most desired Silkie characteristics or get a good quality Silkie roo from another line (which is what I would do).

Anyway, there's a Sizzle thread in the Breeding, Genetics and Showing section of the forum. That would probably be a great place for you to start researching.

Good luck.

3. Hebandgene

Hebandgene Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2015
    Yes, my son won these eggs at a flock swap, and the lady they came from calls them frizzle sizzles. Those are great things to think about. Thank you! And thanks for that tip on the sizzle thread. I hadn't found that board yet so that will be helpful.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by