Decimated Delawares, He passed on.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gerbil, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Something got into my hen house and killed most of my flock, My little runt rooster is barely hanging on, his wing is badly damaged and his side is covered in little punctures, I gave him electrolyte water. This the first time we have lost a flock, I am still standing here shocked. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

(Edited for spelling)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  2. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

OH I'm so sorry! [​IMG] What an awful thing to wake up to. [​IMG] Any idea what might've got in? You said small...maybe a weasel?

3. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    It was something really small, I did not think anything would go through 2 locked gates pull away the concrete wire and slink in kill all of my babies and leave without eating anything. [​IMG] I had no Idea until I opened their house up and they were all laying there. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Is there anything else I can do for him? Should I leave him in his dark box or try to clean him up and band aid him? The punctures are all over and he might have internal damage.

Please help, Gerbil [​IMG]

5. 3rocksandme

3rocksandme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookline, NH
    I'm so sorry. A raccoon did the same to us, we had three surviors. It's terrible it seems weasels and raccoons kill for sport, not food.

6. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    I don't think he is going to make it, I just checked and he was laying on his side. He stood back up but he's down again. [​IMG]

7. 3rocksandme

3rocksandme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookline, NH
    poor guy, do you have an avian vet near you? I would think if his situation is that bad, the vet might be best.

8. har

har Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Rogers,Ar
    I had a young possum do the same thing to my chickens. Have you got any of them around there?

9. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    No,our vets only take dogs and cats. [​IMG] We have everything from coyotes to hawks.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  10. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    So sorry for your losses! i had a coop fire once, and remember how broken up I was about losing my chooks. Hope your roo recovers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by