decisions, decisions...PHOTOS ADDED- help sexing?

warhorse

Songster
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
Cibolo, TX
I am trying to decide what I want to keep. I got 6 black copper Marans and 3 blue copper Marans chicks that are about 2 months old now. I have two cuckcoo Marans hens and two cuckoo Marans roosters that are about 6 months old and two cuckoo Marans pullets (most likely) that are 2 months old. I also have a trio of black copper chicks that are 3 months old. All I want is a nice assortment of 3-4 each variety, but I'm not sure if I want a blue copper or black copper rooster. I'm pretty sure there is a trio inthe blues (1 rooster and 2 pullets) and there is one of the 2 month old black coppers that is definately a rooster and very nice... feathery legged, getting waddles and comb sooner than everyone else. Any opinions on which ones to keep? Are the blues or blacks any more likely to produce darker eggs?

Last edited:
Okay, I have a few photos and trying to see which are boys and girls. This first is one of an araucana chicklet just because he(she?) is so darn cute and always in the way:

img438.jpg

Now, for the black coppers...

img440.jpg

img444u.jpg

There are six of those buggers. At least one stands out as a cockrel. He even acts like a rooster already... lounging on the ground and some of the others preen him.

I think that is him at the end of the roost on the bottom photo and on the left on the top photo. (?) I'm pretty much just going on comb and how they act.

Quote:
your first pullet looks like it could be a cockerel...but i cant tell with the lighting.....it may just be the lighting...your next set of pics is too hard to see .... but i may be able to make some guesses?

My other three should be black coppers, as well. They are a month older. I thought I had one roo and two pullets, but now I'm not so sure. One has a large comband different colored hackles but another one seems to be getting a long tail, too. (?)

img450.jpg

img451z.jpg

hmm, yeah, I'm seeing at least two roos in the two month old group, but the 3 month old group still has me somewhat perplexed. I was going to switch coops this week sometime so I was going to get better, individual photos of them when I do. If I only have 3-4 pullets in the lot, I'll be hard pressed to sell them as pairs and end up with just a bunch of surplus roos. Such is as it is with chickens, though. I had thought I might have been lucky to have a higher percentage of hens.

So, as far as marans go, are blue copper as good to keep for darker eggs as the black coppers?

Ok, so I got some newer photos of the (now a week or so older... about 10 weeks old?) chickies:

*pretty sure*black copper pullet:
img467.jpg

img469.jpg

img471.jpg

*definately*black copper cockrel
img475.jpg

*probably*black copper cockrel
img479.jpg

*pretty sure*blue copper pullet
img476.jpg

*definately*blue copper cockrel
img472.jpg

*probably*blue copper cockrel
img478.jpg

These, I am less sure about:
img470.jpg

most likely, the two in the middle are cockrels. Definately the one on the far left. The one on the right...has the comb and waddles, but does not have the big tail starting. The one in the back has waddles, but not so much of a comb. Sometimes I look and think "pullet" but it also has a big long tail feather. (?)

The two cuckoos are definately pullets, but I only got a photo of one:
img473.jpg

Quote:
your first pullet looks like it could be a cockerel...but i cant tell with the lighting.....it may just be the lighting...your next set of pics is too hard to see .... but i may be able to make some guesses?

I agree

Back
Top Bottom