Decisions decisions! What should I get?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MoodyChicken, Apr 30, 2009.

1. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Large Marge, one of my layers, died on Monday. She was an internal layer and I knew it was only a matter of time. Fortunately she didn't suffer too long and she died in her sleep. But I decided I wanted to get another chick to replace her. And of course you can never buy a single chick! So I'll be buying two chicks on Friday at our local feed store and they'll be raised with my bantam OEs until they're bigger. They have pretty much everything available, so the possibilities are endless. What should I get? I want something different and, ideally, rare. I'd love a Welsummer and a White Dorking, but I gotta wait to see what they have! Any suggestions on what I should get? Currently I have: two Buff Orpingtons, one blue Wheaton Americauna, one brown Americauna, one Light Brown/White Leghorn, and one Silver Duckwing Americauna. I'd like something that stick out in my flock. Maybe a barred rock? Maybe I need 3 chicks. [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Well. I love Buff Orpingtons. So sweet and docile. Good layers, pretty HUGE fluffy butts.

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    A polish would really stand out. And you would have one that lays white eggs in addition to your brown and colored eggs.

4. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Sure you don't need a naked neck? I have 2 chicks available, 4 weeks old [​IMG] May have some day olds in a couple days if my hatch goes well. Arent you in Cool? I may have a couple Black orpingtons also.

Nancy

5. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    GOSH! I forgot all about Naked Necks! Are they both female? I only have room for hens. I might be getting a Shamo rooster and he'd live with the layers and I sure don't want to try to integrate him in with another rooster. I do live in Cool.

6. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I'm not sure as they are straight run , are you going to Echo Valley? I need to go there tomorrow and get some food... I could bring them if you want to see them. It would have to be before 5 though as I have to be down in Roseville tomorrow evening. I wish my digital was working.. I'd post pics. They are from jmhappycowboys on here's turkens. Nice birds.

Nancy

7. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    I'll be at Echo Valley in the morning, but you don't have to go out of you way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by