decisions. opinions please re pet chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenPoxPais, Feb 27, 2015.

1. ChickenPoxPais

ChickenPoxPais New Egg

Feb 27, 2015
    In a nutshell. I've had three backyard bantams, and i fell in LOOOVE with them. I've also had a second hand/give away African Grey parrot for 11 years. I'm not a stranger to birds. I'm also a CVT/LVT of 20 years.

I no longer have my hens, and Agador the Grey, passed last week :(
    I always joked that I would get chickens again. However my living situation is different.
    I am seeking a INDOOR PET chicken. (She will not be kept in cage inside, and has small outdoor area to have supervised play. She will also go everywhere with me. I know some people are against this, but I don't care to argue that point ATM)

My delimma:
    I want a brown color and i like the look of fat round chickies.
    I can't order anything online because of the minimums during chick season.
    Local breeders have some bantams, but either I dont want the breed or its not guaranteed to be female
    I found pullets locally (Golden comets or Bielefelder) where I know the sex but they are going to weigh 5-6lbs/10lbs

Do I hold out on the hopes of some local breeder having a buff orph or welsummer bantam pullet??
    Or get the smaller Golden comet/sexlink and start my snuggling with it now?

*I would really like to have the Bielefelder, but honestly think a 10lb hen might be a bit much in the house. Although it would be amusing to see a chicken bigger than my cat. lol.

Sorry about it being half bolded text...it wont unbold :)

Thanks guys!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] If it were me, I would stay away from any of the sex link or high production breeds. As they age they can have reproductive tract issues and shortened life spans. The problem with bantams is that they are very hard to sex as chicks. A buff silky pullet sounds perfect for your needs. I have no experience with Seramas, but some swear by them as pets.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  3. ChickenPoxPais

ChickenPoxPais New Egg

Feb 27, 2015
    I did see some 4wk buff silkies pullets...so they claim, but the silkie look just isnt for me. i like classic looking chickens. and the seramas...not a fan of the downward wings.
    i know...i'm being picky...

i saw that comets don live long, which is sad. Then again, i've had two boxers. They are not supposed to live past 10, my male was 11 and my white female was 14. So anything past 2 chickie years would be bonus time, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by