Decline in egg production>>>>

deerhunter 308

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 30, 2012
Good Morning Folks-

I have about 17 hens from different types of breads all standars size red stars, white leg horn, black star,,and R.R islandand so on. My question is that I have notice a decline in the egg production lately. From a good day 9-12 eggs per day I am down to maybe 3-4 eggs per day. Does anyone has an answer to what is happening?

Thank you in advance..

If they are older than one year, they're likely to moult, take time off, and start up again in February. Chickens cannot lay heavily all year 'round, year after year.
Even first year pullets slow down with the decreased daylight from this time of year. We've gone from 17 hours of daylight in June to less than 10 hours here. It gets worse before it finally gets better after Christmas.

I've heard that it is common for the production to go down in the winter because of a decrease in sunlight like Fred said.
But for some reason mine have not decreased in fact I got the most eggs I ever had yesterday 19 (i have 21 chickens and one is a rooster) I usually get 12-16 a day so it must have been a fluke.
I can't explain why mine have not gone down in production. They are about 7 months old and started laying really early. I live in Montana so we have definitely had a decrease in daylight hours. They are free range but I keep them in the coop when it's really cold. They have 2 heat lamps and the coop is well insulated which keeps it about 20 degrees warmer than outside.
It's important that they always have a good supply of food and water.
Hope this helps
big_smile.png

I have started a separate coop with a beautiful, but mean, Wyandotte rooster that I wanted to work on starting my own line with. I put a Giant Black Jersey hen in that same coop that was already laying eggs. She has laid two eggs and stopped laying. Is it possible for them to withhold laying eggs or could she be stressed? They get plenty of sun, food and water and extra goodies.

Puzzled!!!

Back
Top Bottom