Decline in milk production

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PotterWatch, Mar 29, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    So Bella seems to be fully recovered from her bloat (thank goodness!!!!). Her milk production however, seems to have taken a drastic hit. Before the bloat, I was getting about 2quarts a day. The day before she bloated (though I think she was already starting to bloat at that point), she gave considerably less. The day I noticed the bloat and the day after when she was still recovering, she barely gave any. Today, I probably didn't get more than 1/2 a cup total from both milkings. Is there anything I can do to get her production back up or should I just go ahead and assume she is done for this freshening and dry her off completely?

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    [​IMG] Darn!

It might come back a LITTLE but you won't get it all back. Here, I would dry her off and try again. Sorry!

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yeah, I kind of thought that might be the answer. [​IMG]

4. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    IF she is doing good you can start remilking her and she should come back up in production. I have 1 that I got that was in the process of being dryed off and she has come back up alot in hers. It just depends on her condition and if you want to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by