Decorating Help.... Two Different Quilts, Which Wall Color?

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
In the almost 8 years we've lived here, we've not really done anything with the master bedroom. It's still flat white paint with one wall partially wallpapered with the remnants of a border I ripped off. The carpet is sage green.We will be removing that chair rail behind the bed, along with the wallpaper and painting the room. I have two quilts almost finished, one just needs binding (I pieced it, kathyinmo machine quilted it for me), and the other one, Kathy pieced, sent it to me and I'm close to finishing the hand quilting of it, just have to quilt the border and bind it. It's the purple and gold one and it will be my spring/summer quilt while the Crayola Crayon colored one that I designed and pieced will be my fall/winter quilt. I need a wall color that will go with both. I'm thinking a light beige with gold tones maybe? Here are the two quilts so you can see what I'm up against. Sorry, the lighting in my house combined with a very old digital camera is making it hard to get good pictures.

DCP_4931.jpg

DCP_4609.jpg

Here, I laid my fall/winter quilt on top of my spring/summer quilt so you can see the tone difference in the colors.

DCP_4932.jpg

I would definitely use something that was kinda neutral--something that would kind of accent that goldish and yellow fabric in each quilt......you're right on target...I'd choose a light color too. Get lots of paint samples......find the exact shade of a beigy-gold color.

We have a painting that always looked muted and grey-ish, but it really POPs out with hidden color when on our bright golden wall. I bet your gold/lavendar quilt would really be glorious in a bright golden room. A cheap way to try bright vs hints of color is those sample paints in a color very close to what you're thinking of, then paint big cardboards to tack up in the room, to see how your window light and nite-time lighting affects the color. Unfold a packing box from the recycling bin of a big store and paint it in your color, or splurge on some $3 plain posterboards.

I would love to see that quilt in a bright golden room. Our room is somewhere between "sunshine orange" and "mustard gold" its sort of the color of the inside of a mango.

How about something like these? First is Summer Field by Behr, then ACE's King Midas, Strands of Gold, Honey Pot then Golden Dream:

MPC0079994-2T.jpg
MPC0077869-2T.jpg
MPC0077892-2T.jpg
MPC0077908-2T.jpg
MPC0077942-2T.jpg

I sort of like the first and the third ones, personally.

I would use the lightest color there. I believe you listed it being called Honey Pot. Awesome quilts. Very nice.

ETA: The richer the color or darker the color the more it is going to make the room seem small. Especially if you are going to paint the entire room one color. The lighter the color the more it will make the room seem larger.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom