Decorating herself?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by James Cherry, Sep 9, 2010.

1. James Cherry

James Cherry New Egg

Dec 18, 2009
    Poopsie, the leader of the pack of 4 hens, and a golden comet did something today I noticed for the first time.

I was getting ready to toss some scratch in the run and of course they all gather around. She picked up bits of grass and tried to set them on her back near the tail three times.

What is going on?

She is very friendly, and if I touch her with my hand or foot, she squats in a submissive stance, and spreads her feathers a little. The other comet does the same.

She'll jump the fence around the run, and come looking for me. Peck at the front door even. Like a puppy dog or cat, follow me everywhere and in the run, always underfoot. I let her out to follow me around the yard where she will explore on her own, but always stays in sight.

2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    My girls do that when they're trying to build a nest... watch out she may go broody on you. [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My hens do that before and after they lay eggs, some sort of comfort or nest building thing I think.

4. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    Some of my girls do that when trying to nest someplace they shouldn’t like their trying to hide themselves and their nest. I don’t know the real reason they do it though, it would be interesting to know what they’re doing.

5. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Maybe a snack for later?

6. emilysteng

emilysteng Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Hawaii
    My hen does that also. Generally after she laid an egg. Some kind of nesting instinct I guess. Here she is doing it:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by