decorative grasses

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rynanne, Oct 29, 2011.

1. rynanne

rynanne Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Still planning my coop for next spring. I know that some decorative grasses that grow 1-6' or more are very hardy, but are they chicken hardy? any bushes that would fit the bill? Just want to make some nice "hidy" places for them. : )

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    The trick to gettting anything to survive in your run is making sure it much taller than chickens can jump/reach with their greedy little beaks! Free ranging on occasion also helps to keep your birds interested in eating the things outside the run. Some folks have lots of luck keeping living things in runs, others do not. I have had luck with lilac bushes with the bottom branches removed. Have fun!

3. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Out of all the differant things I planted around my run this year, here are the 2 things the chickens did not eat, Giant Cosmos, and Lufa Gourds. They were planted on the outside borders of my run and grew up the fence. The Lufa grew up the fence and over the top, and made good shade for them. At the same time I planted, Bushel gourds, and Nest Egg gourds, and the chickens ate them down to the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by