Decorators and Designers...wannabe's too =) Need advice

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Camelot Farms, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

DH brought me this gorgeous apothecary style cabinet. The panels that you see with the fruit pattern on them are actually glass covered with a heavy duty material...like the kind you use on furniture. Anyways....fruit doesnt exactly go with our home. We have more of a french country theme going but not too heavy. Lots of reds, yellows and oranges, wrought iron and pewter. That kind of thing.

And I cant just leave the glass showing because I have crammed every drawer full of 'stuff' lol.

So what else can I do with those glass panels? Each one is 10x7. The cabinet itself is 4ft high and 50" wide.

I was thinking maybe switching the material to quilt blocks in different colors. Same block pattern, different colors in each. I would have to buy them somewhere cause I cant sew to save my life.

[​IMG]

Whatcha got for ideas? [​IMG]

2. Joz

Joz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    MidCity, New Orleans
    Can you replace these with panels made of cardboard covered in fabric? No sewing skills required, just a hot-glue gun. Or wallpaper, if you can't find the fabric you want. I don't know how, exactly, this would work without seeing the actual piece.

Or, pull the fabric panels out and etch/frost the glass?

3. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    Nice cabinet!
    Can you replace the glass with tin? I think it would look lovely with punched tin panels and the panels are not difficult to make. Craft stores have most of what you would need, including templates. Or you could make your own pattern to match existing decor.

4. Camelot Farms

Wow! Fabulous ideas. I never thought about Wallpaper. I could probably even get a wallpaper sample book from somewhere and try to find coordinating pieces!

Tin! Copper! Now how will I choose [​IMG] lol

Keep the ideas coming...y'all are good!

5. itsachicken

itsachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    St. Louis
    You could replace the fabric with fancy parchment type paper or frost/etch the glass itself. You could also replace the glass with a decorative glass, something you can't really see through since there won't be light shining on it from behind.

oops, lots of responses while I was struggling to type, didn't meant to duplicate.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  6. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    I also thought about the wallpaper idea but really like the tin or copper too. Another idea, and I hope I can explain this correctly, is to replace the fruit panels with clear glass, put a thin piece of wood an inch or so behind the glass the same width and height as the drawer and fill the front of the drawer with whatever you want. I have seen different beans, macaroni. Or you could fill it with alot of other things, maybe something you collect, bottle caps, match books, dried flowers, bouncy balls, many, many possibilities and they could be changed whenever you get tired of it.

7. Camelot Farms

Quote:Like this?
    [​IMG]

Bah ha haaa. So thats what the little board and space are for. DH and I couldnt figure it out. Best thing we could figure was that it was to protect the glass from being broken by whatever was in the drawer. [​IMG].

If I had room for it in my kitchen, that is soooo what I would do with it.

Thanks bockbock!!

8. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Yeah. Like that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by