1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

decoys

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenbythesea, Jun 24, 2011.

1. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    I was just thinking, have any of you ever put like an fake owl (or other bird of prey) on you top of your coop (out of the sight of the chickens of course), to help keep away other predatory fowl? I was thinking of carving one and putting it on top of our coop so that the crows, osprey, eagles etc would think to stay away. My hubby thinks it'll just attract another owl. Have any of you done something similar to this and did it work? thanks

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It will attract crows

3. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Unfortunately, they seem to get used to just about anything in a few days. The fake owls, even the ones that move and flash the eyes, won't keep even pigeons away. Is there a way to put netting over problem areas?

4. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    Get fake crows (sometimes available in halloween stores). My guess if the fake crows may help keep hawks away.

5. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I've had a owl decoy on my fence in the back and haven't seen any hawks. I see crows all the time and I've seen the crows chase off vultures so I like the crows. Crows also chase off hawks.

6. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    we do have crows but I honestly wasn't worried about them... maybe I should be. the run will be covered so I guess it's not too big of a deal. I just love carving and thought it might be an idea. My son wants to carve a chicken and put it in the coop with the girls. I thought he should carve a Roo because it's the only one they'd get [​IMG] We live by the ocean but we're up on a hill in the woods so my bigger worry is weasels... they're vicious and can get into tight spaces.

7. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Just be careful, the crows will steal it and use it to hang their mailbox on [​IMG]

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    If it don't scare the chickens it ain't gonna scare a predator.

9. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Ain't that the truth...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by