Decreased egg laying - why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Charlene, May 13, 2009.

1. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    My two hens are just over a year old. Last year they each laid about 6 eggs per week. Then of course it fell off to more like 4-5 in the winter.

The weird thing is it is still slow. I am only getting 2 eggs a day one out of three days (the other two days I'll get one usually). I am worried that there is something wrong.

I assuming they are not hiding them (they are free range) since there are occasionally two eggs in a day. One hen has scratched a bare patch on the side of her neck about 1 inch square. It seems to be slowly getting bigger. I didn't think much of it when I noticed it a month or so ago, but could this be a symptom of a problem? If so what do I do????

Are there any other reasons their egg laying would be slow or other reasons you can think of as to why I am getting so few eggs? My hens seems happy and healthy, they are BR's.

One more thing, I did get three new chickens (only 3 months old) that I recently started to let free range also. Could they be upsetting the hens?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sometimes varying egg production just happens. Sometimes there is a reason. You can check this link and see if you see any possibilities. From what you describe, it does not sound like an egg-eater or an egg eating predator. Are they fully recovered from the molt, maybe? You might try feeding them a little more protein if this is the case.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/poultry/factsheets/34.html

Good luck!!

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    The change by adding more birds can affect their egg laying. Actually any changes in their lives can affect their egg production.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by