decreased egg production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Vickiinaz, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Vickiinaz

Vickiinaz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    I have been getting 6-7 eggs daily from my 11 hens. Production has dropped to just a couple per day and one of the hens hasn't laid an egg in over a week. I was told that it is because the daylight hours are getting shorter, but it is still light almost 11 hours per day and nice and warm here in sunny AZ. I've also been told that they take time off now and then. They all look fine and don't show signs of molting.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Half of mine are still in a molt... feathers everywhere. I've got about 30 females and I got 3 eggs today.

I keep a light in my coop with 15 of them and I got only 1 egg from them.

So much for unnatural light... and I'm in East Central Phoenix.

Come say Hi, and share your woes with the rest of the AZ peeps... here Arizona Chickens

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine have finished their molt already, I have 13 hens, and I got 2 eggs today, 5 yesterday. That's how it was last winter. Next spring I won't know what to do with them all, again.
    I don't add light because they supply enough for us.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Chickens were originally tropical birds and require 14 hours of light a day for optimal laying. At 11 hours a day, they are likely to show some signs of slowing down. If it bothers you then add some supplemental lighting. By adding supplemental lighting you may be shortening their overall laying longevity, but since chickens rarely live out their entire productive lives anyway you are probably not going to notice.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by