Decreased egg production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mylittlechickpea, Nov 15, 2010.

1. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've learned a lot from this site, and I know in the winter time a lot of hens decrease or stop entirely of their egg laying skills. I thought maybe because it was just too cold to lay an egg? But I live in Hawaii... Is it to do with the daylight hours and not the cold as I was thinking?

Thanks in advance.

My Chickpea is an awesome little layer, she laid her first egg the day after my birthday (go figure [​IMG]) on August 26 and had laid me an egg a day up until a few weeks ago. She lad two in one day and then threw in the towel. She is bright eyed and as a chicken should be. So I'm not worried about her in anyway. Just confused.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    They need at least 14 daylight hours!!

3. mylittlechickpea

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Holy smokes [​IMG]

Guess I'll be waiting for the spring to come back [​IMG] At least she's cute lol

4. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    I guess it depends on the breed, some chickens will stop laying for the winter, and others might slow down due to less daylight times, you might want to put in a light with a timer that stays on for a while after it gets dark to compensate for the less hours of light.
    Love your avitar by the way..........

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  5. mylittlechickpea

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks, Desert Rooster. I could start turning on the outside light when the sun starts going down to see if that does anything. She hasn't quit completely it was every couple days but now I haven't gotten anything for about 4 days. And this is the thread my avatar came from, it's got a bigger picture of her in my pot.. [​IMG] https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=417045

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by