1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Decreased Eggs/Day!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sms1225, Nov 19, 2008.

1. sms1225

sms1225 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have 24 hens, that started laying 2 months ago, the hens are almost 7 months old. Up until about 2 weeks ago I was getting on average 18 eggs/day. Perhaps I did not set the timer to extend the light hours soon enough?? We currently have naturally only 9 hours of daylight right now, and decreasing.

If the hens stop laying or decrease their volume per day, can extending the light using artificial light, cause them to lay at previously higher volumes, after they have already decreased their laying per day, or am I stuck with lower eggs per day because I screwed up???

Thanks for all your help. I am new to this. I received by day old chicks on May 1st. 12 RIR's, 10 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 3 Auracanas.

Susan:)

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

People have good luck adding lights. However I think they deserve a break form egg laying. Even though we have chickens for food.
    I was getting 6 eggs a day now I get 4 on avarage.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The natural rhythms are best. They will not lay full-tilt all the time. They may pick up a bit after they get used to the decreasing daylight or when we're on the upswing and the hours start increasing again, especially since they are in their first year. I dont add light for mine; it's been linked to cancer in laying hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by