Decreased Light egg slackers - When should I see an improvement??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rduchix, Nov 2, 2011.

1. rduchix

rduchix New Egg

Jun 15, 2011
    Hi - I have 8 New Hampshire pullets and until a week and a half ago I was collecting 6-8 eggs a day. Now I get one, maybe. I know our light has decreased here (Raleigh, NC) and I'm guessing that's what's got egg production down. I put a light in their coop today on a timer to give them about 4 hours of extra light a day. How long until I should see egg production up? Anyone else try to correct this with chickens?

Thanks!

Elisabeth

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I have lights up too, but the decreased light might not be your only problem.

Have you checked for lice or mites? Is anyone gurgling or sneezing? Is someone hiding eggs?

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Also be sure the bulb you used is "day light" not "soft white". I'm guessing that too can make a difference.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    They're not slacking. Their bodies get much needed rest from intense egg production during the times of the year with less daylight. You can artificially increase the light and force egg production but just realize their bodies will usually wear out sooner.

JJ

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  5. rduchix

rduchix New Egg

Jun 15, 2011
    Thanks everyone. We checked for lice, mites, etc and checked the yard for hiding eggs and I'm sure it's not any of those. They just started laying in August, so we were hoping they would lay through the winter.

6. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Quote:I feel your pain. I'm dealing with the same thing. Sorry I don't have an answer for you. [​IMG]

7. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine do it too, and I just ride it out. They also molt at this time of year, and that can cause a decrease in egg production. It stinks, but it is natural.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by