1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dedicated Chook

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gsim, Nov 22, 2009.

1. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    This morning I got quite a surprise from one of my chooks , a Barred Plymouth Rock. My coop sits on sloping ground, and a flower box on one end is 5 ft above the ground. Just out about 2 ft from that is a temporary fence which I erected about 6 weeks ago in order to seed in some grass and have it survive. (1/3 of my run is in seed/new grass and cross-fencing was the only way to insure that the grass would survive and be healthy.)

When I went out to the coop this AM, I opened both pop doors and out came the girls, clucking away and heading for the water pots. I went in and closed their doors and began my chores of cleaning poop planks, opening windows, and filling feed troughs. Much to my surprise that barred rock (which I named 'Jumper' for her habit of jumping on my hand when a tiny chick) jumped up over that 4 ft fence and onto the 5 ft above the ground flower box and began to squawk at me repeatedly, and I mean really loud. Similarly, a Buff Comet jumped onto another flower box only 4 ft above the ground and did the same. I was about done, so I opened the pop doors and these two flew down immediately and came in to hop into a nest, and each laid an egg in short order. I am sure that they were telling me to hurry up so they could get back inside to do their business.

Now THAT is dedication to the job ! [​IMG] 10 eggs from 24 chooks that are 5 1/2 months old, all before I went to church. We are blessed.

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You've got some good girls there!!! LOL! [​IMG]

4. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI