Dedicated half of Coop to our Misfits

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sunflower01, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Sunflower01

Sunflower01 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Westminster, Maryland
    In March we bought 6 Red Sex-Link Pullets for Eggs. We built a Nice coop with enclosed run for them. Then we discovered the Live-Stock Auction, Thursday Nites are Chickens. It's become family night. DH, myself and our Two college age Daughters all pile in the truck and head over. We now have 16 chicken of various breed and one Seriously neurotic Frizzle, bantam Rooster. The Rooster and a Silkie were in a box and they showed the Silkie and my husband bid on it. Well we picked up our box and took it home. The Silkie has a bith defect and hopsaroud on one leg and the rooster has very few feathers. But he is starting to feather out again. They are both in quareneteen. He's a screamer. We'll have to work on that. She, the silkie is a sweetie and is laying eggs. I guess some people would box them up and take them back to next weeks auction. Oh No not us. I Painted "MISFITS" on the divided coop door. Jeezz.. Home for wayward chickens. I live in Maryland if anyone wants to send some more our way...

2. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Welcome to BYC ! You now have the chicken buying disease . I am so sorry. It just gets worse. Then you need more coops, get an incubator, then you need another, etc etc. Have a great day! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Sunflower01

Jul 30, 2009
    Westminster, Maryland
    Is there such a thing as Chickens Anonomys?? I think my whole family need to go. DH mentioned somethig about gettin an incubator. Please, someone stop us...

4. baltimoreharps

baltimoreharps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    Quote:Lol, you're talking to the enablers on this site!! [​IMG]

I started with 6, I now have 14, and am eyeing more! [​IMG]

5. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I started out with 20 and now have .............................................wait for it..............

over 140 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I sell all my surplus spring hatches or purchases in the fall. I raise the hens until laying age so I get a little more out of them. It is a wonderful "hobby". [​IMG]

6. Sunflower01

Jul 30, 2009
    Westminster, Maryland
    Hummm.... Our 2 car garage with attached Man Room is only 10 feet away from our coop. After all my Husband did purchase Hobbles and Psycho Rooster. We just use it for storage...OMG Stop me.. Oh, that's right enablers.. My thoughts are running rampant. So much room, So many more Chickens!

7. Nyrial

Nyrial Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Lake Stevens, WA
    We're not even done with our coop.. and my DH is already planning what he needs to build the next.

Chicken fever is extremely contagious, who else can we infect? [​IMG] The guys at work just roll their eyes at me when I talk about my chickens.

A Misfit coop is a wonderful idea though, I have a franken-chick (formerly Fugly (Fuggles) now called Frankenstein) who was whacked with the ugly stick and has a crooked beak.

Psycho Rooster and Hobbles are awesome names! [​IMG]

8. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Quote:I Guess you do your own ACCOUNTING, too? Soooo, you're making a profit? ...yeah Keep telling yourself that, JUST like the rest of us do.

9. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Started with 6 after 100 I lost track...1 incubator didn't work oh 2 didn't either when you get to 4 just get a cabinet. Your coop should be in the Middle of a field so it can have additions in all directions as well [​IMG]
    We have our layers only pasture which are my "flawed" chickens or mutts I wanted they are like my misfits.
    Auctions are very risky to rest of your flock though-who knows what's there.

10. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Sunflower,
    not to hijack your thread but where is there an auction around Westminister????
    That is one I must not know about.

Send details Please....or maybe not....YEAH DETAILS PLEASE....LOL...

TNT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by