Deep compost materiel

Gammond

Songster
Aug 31, 2016
Central BC, Canada
For my first layer I used hay (Timothy/alfalfa).. I plan on turning it and adding more hay when needed. Is it better to use straw? Someone tell me the difference.

For my first layer I used hay (Timothy/alfalfa).. I plan on turning it and adding more hay when needed. Is it better to use straw? Someone tell me the difference.
Hay is grasses used for feeding livestock.
Straw is from grains, it's what's left over after grains are harvested.

Straw will probably take longer to break down.
Best to have a mix of materials.

Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

Yes, Hay is for livestock to eat..Straw is bedding....The best straw to use is Oat or Wheat Straw...Straw is Cheaper to buy...It is Hollow so holds in heat...Another thing about straw is if you have it in nest boxes and have hens prone to broodiness, use pine shavings..The straw holds their body heat...Just what a Broody hen wants....

Cheers!

I have somewhat of a problem, my coop is 2 ft. off the ground, my run extends under the coop which totals 16 ft. long 6 ft. wide. right now I have straw blocking under the coop for the winter, and for training my chicks to go in the coop without me chasing them around the run at dusk. I am starting the deep litter method in the run and as of now I have about 6 inches of pine needles and leaves down on the ground. now my situation is what do I do when I move the straw and get DLM under the coop thanks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom