1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deep compost turning

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Gammond, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Gammond

Gammond Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2016
    when turning the material, do I turn the stuff at the very bottom as well? Or just the top layer? I've been digging down with my rake to the bottom everyone once in a while, especially under their roosts.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    What roots?

Compost should be turned completely until it is finished.

3. Gammond

Aug 31, 2016
    Roosts. Ok I will turn the entire thing.

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Sorry. I read that as roots. My compost bins sometimes have tree root incursion if I fail to turn them often enough.

5. Gammond

Aug 31, 2016
    How often should I turn mine? I have 26ish birds

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about compost piles, not deep bedding in the coop.
    It depends on your goals whether you have to turn or not.

7. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    About how many square feet are housing these 26 birds?

As an alternative to YOU doing the digging, the birds would be happy to do that for you. Get yourself a 50# bag of whole raw oats and for that many birds, simply toss about a quart or so of those raw oats on top of the litter and let them go at it. They probably won't get half of them, but will spend a long, long time digging and scratching looking for the rest. The oats tend to drift to the bottom and they will scratch and dig all the way down there looking for them. It will look like it has been tilled when they are done with it.

1 person likes this.
  8. Gammond

Aug 31, 2016
    8.5x10 with free range outside during the day. Lots of banty mix.. they are happy.

This is a great idea, as we are getting a 1,600lb bag of barley soon.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  9. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Sounds like you are maxed out on birds for the space you have. You can use deep litter, but it has to be deep and it needs to be stirred often and won't last as long as some due to your high population of birds. Your first clue will be wet, caked over piles under the roosts and maybe the odor of ammonia or bad smells in general. That area under the roosts may benefit from a swap out now and then. Just dig that part out and replace it with fresh litter. Either compost what you take out, or spread it heavy on a garden area. Good stuff!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by