deep cut on rouen....antibiotics Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by The Howards, Jan 22, 2013.

1. The Howards

The Howards Chillin' With My Peeps

we discovered when we went to put our ducks up tonight that one of them was not walking very well (not a huge concern normally as she is a weeble woble when she gets tired---crested disorder). we brought her inside and gave her a warm bath and put her in a cage to sleep. she seemed restless so i did a more in-depth inspection and found a rather large laceration. it is not bleeding or at least is not now. we cleaned and put antibiotic ointment on it. she seems to be fine otherwise. she eats/drinks and makes normal sounds. i want to get her some antibiotics to prevent infection but which ones do i use? I have read about penecillin g procaine and tylan and duramyacin (sp?). what about fish mox forte (amoxicillin) our friends found this for fish but they themselves and their dogs use it. are they for ducks and which one is the right one. also what kind or probiotics should she be given?

2. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    I personally don't like using antibiotics unless they are really necessary. If it were my duck, I would just keep the wound as clean as possible and continue to put topical antibiotic ointment on it. If you can wrap it up to keep it cleaner, do that, too. Hope she will be OK!

3. The Howards

I whole heartedly agree with you and that is what i am doing. but i want to get some to have on hand just incase she gets and infection or her condition worsens. there is not an aviary vet near by so i will have to do this myself. i want to make sure we are prepred.
    still totally confused as to how it happened. there are no sharp objects in their enclosure. we will search for that answer today

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I agree, i had a duck totally opened up by a snatch from a raccoon and we brought the bird inside kept the wound clean used wonder dust(horse wound product lol) and ensured it had the least amount of stress and access to food/water.

He did recover, we used vet wrap to cover the wound... i know nothing about an actual antibiotic for poultry, is there a vet that you can contact, you could also search threads here for what others have done but i shared mine, GL. any idea how she got injured?

5. The Howards

no idea. it happened within about a 40 minute window. i had gone out to get the last eggs of the day around 5 and everyone was moving and acting fine. at 540 the last of the suns light was going away so i went to put them up and she was trying to use her wing to walk where she was holding her leg up to keep the wound still.
    what is wonder dust? what does it do?

6. The Howards

she is still in good spirits. she slept alone quietly all night in her crate. then when i went out to let everyone else out she woke the household letting us know her displeasure at being inside all alone. so we brought her a pal in. she eats fine and was walking a little better this morning but is a long way from being healed.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Here are some excerpts from Storey's Guide on cuts and wounds.

Trim feathers away from wound's edge
    hold a clean piece of gauze or lintless cloth over the wound to prevent bits of webbing from adhering to the exposed flesh
    wash the wound with warm water and mild soap, thoroughly rinse with clear warm water
    apply medicated ointment once or twice daily
    keep flies away
    if wounds are severe, it can help to administer a broad-spectrum antibiotic i.e. Eurofloxacin Baytril (prescription only at time of writing) orally twice a day

8. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    How strange, i would have a look about to see if the birds have gotten something sharp loose or perhaps they got in area they shouldn't have. I know with horses they are an accident waiting to happen lol

Wonder dust... it's a dusting wound powder, it's not just for horses but most who own them have it... it worked well with our injured guy. Here is some info

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16050

[​IMG]

9. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    [​IMG] I have this book in e-book format. It's useful to have about.

10. The Howards

Thanks guys
    amazingly enough i had just gotten a copy from the library yesterday to see what it is all about. i went to it several times last night after we brought her in. i will have to get a copy of it to keep here at the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by