Deep Freeze Winter Weather and Duck Feet

Video would be helpful.When its very cold my ducks will stand up,move and then hurry and sit down because there legs get cold. They aren't going to be doing too much when its that cold.

I’ve seen them do that through the day and especially when coming out of the coop. They come running out quacking and then all drop to there bellies. It’s kinda comical to watch. They eventually get up and waddle to where ever they are going and lay down again.

That was all happening at -15/-20C.

Sounds like they are doing fine where you have them. A bit more work for you but with those extreme temps I think your doing the right thing for them.

Thank you! I can see they are doing way better and they seem happy in there to be honest. I peek through the window sometimes and they are walking around & rooting through the fresh straw or doing there normal duck behaviour around the water pale.

The weather is supposed to break just after the weekend with temperatures looking to be settling at -15/-20C for the week. So I think we will let them out during the days That week again until then it’s Hotel Le Shed.

All sounds great!

i had a drake collapse when the weather froze up here. I let him out and he ran and jumped in the pool, he was fine for a few minuts then seized up and almost drowned, i warmed him up and he was fine

Their little bodys must get a shock

It is a new week a& the deep freeze temps have broken!

I let the ducks out of the shed yesterday morning and they were HAPPY! They were doing the standard duck mating dance around the water dish. They didn’t do as much exploring as I thought they would but it was still -15C.

Today I let them out of the coop and the temp was already only -9C. So I filled up their pool for a MUCH needed bath. It’s been a couple weeks obviously due to weather. Again I’m pretty sure they thought it was the best day EVER!

I love seeing my ducks happy!

Back
Top Bottom